In accordance with Minnesota Statutes 261.035, St Louis County will provide for the immediate disposition or direct cremation of residents of the County who are otherwise unable to pay the cost of disposition of their remains.
Eligibility for burial assistance is based on resources of the deceased and their responsible relative. A responsible relative is defined as a surviving spouse or parent/s, if the deceased is a minor child. Applications for burial assistance must be made in writing before any funeral services are held by submitting the Application: St. Louis County Burial - PHHS #02-05-0256.
St. Louis County Burial Procedure
St. Louis County Burial Application
Ways to Apply:
- Fax a completed burial application to:
- Northern St. Louis County residents 218-471-7123
- Southern St. Louis County residents 218-733-2976
- Send the application via Email
- Upload through our public website: https://apps.stlouiscountymn.gov/phhspubdocimport
- Contact a funeral home of your choice. The Funeral Director will be able to assist you with the application process.
- Visit or call your local agency office to request an application. You can either pick it up in person or have it mailed to your preferred address.