Child Care Assistance Biennial Plan

The 2024-2025 CCAP Biennial Fund Plan is now available.

CCAP Biennial Plan 2024-2025 - Final


Northland Foundation Community Resource Hub

Northland Foundation Community Resource Hub provides help finding programs and services for families with young children and parents who are expecting a child in Northern Minnesota.

Child Care Assistance

Paying for child care can be difficult for families with low incomes. Minnesota’s Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) can help families who qualify.

Child Care Assistance along with the MN Department of Education's Early Learning Scholarship can help pay your child care expenses to eligible providers. To find licensed providers in your area, contact Parent Aware at 888-291-9811.

Child Care Licensing

Child care is an important resource for a healthy community. St. Louis County licenses Family In-Home Daycares located all through the county.

Locating a Child Care Provider

Parent Aware is Minnesota's resource for locating licensed providers in your area. 

DHS Licensing Lookup shows the current license status of licensed providers, and any corrective licensing actions the provider has received. If you have concerns about your daycare, contact MN DHS Maltreatment Intake and Licensing Complaints at 651-431-6600


St. Louis County maintains a map showing the locations of licensed family child care providers and licensed child care centers within St. Louis County


Child Care Assistance

Child Care Assistance Program

The Minnesota Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) can assist in making quality child care affordable for income-eligible families. 
You may be eligible to get help for your child care expenses so you can work, look for work, or attend school.

How to Apply:

Applications may be submitted in person, by mail, or via fax (218-733-2992) at any of these offices:
Government Services Center
320 W. 2nd St.
Duluth MN 55802
Northland Office Center - 2nd Floor
201 S 3rd Ave W
Virginia MN 55792
Hibbing Courthouse Annex
1814 E. 14th Ave.
Hibbing MN 55746
Ely Government Services Center
118 S 4th Ave
Ely MN 55731
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday except on Federal holidays.
To have an application mailed to you, please call 218-726-2400.
To print an application, visit Child Care Assistance Program Application
You can also apply online at MNBenefits, Minnesota's secure online system for applying for cash, food support, emergency help, and child care assistance programs.

CCAP Providers

Child Care providers must be registered in order to be reimbursed by child care assistance. If you are a provider you may register by calling 218-726-2064 or email

Becoming a Licensed Family Child Care Provider

St. Louis County is responsible for licensing family childcare homes in the county. Providers who care for children from more than one family must be licensed. The county conducts orientations, background studies, home interviews, safety checks, recommends licensure, conducts investigations, and supports providers in meeting the health and safety needs of the children in the providers’ care.

To be licensed by St Louis County the following must be completed:

  • Attend Orientation Meeting

  • Application Paperwork

  • Background Check

  • Training Requirements

  • Home Visit by a Licensor

  • Fire Inspection


Once you and your home are in full compliance with child care licensing rules, the county will recommend that the Minnesota Department of Human Services issue you a license.

The licensing process will generally take between 5 to 9 months to complete. Barriers to licensure can include:

  • Background checks – everyone in your household or working in the day care must receive clearance.

  • Fences – locations near heavy traffic, railroads, or water hazards such as ponds, marshes, lakes, pools, or water features may require a fence.

  • Fire inspection and safety requirements – you may need to make changes to your home after fire or licensing inspections.

  • Your house – a licensor will check all areas of your house and property for certain safety items.

The first step to becoming licensed in St. Louis County is to attend one of our Orientation Meetings. To sign up to attend one of these meetings please contact us.

(218)726–2064 or

2024 Child Care Licensing Orientation Dates 


General Licensing Information and Rules

Child Care Licensing Brochure

Minnesota Rules Regarding Child Care

Considering opening a child care business (PDF)


Child Care Wayfinder

A one-stop navigation network for starting and growing childcare programs in Minnesota.

CCA Wayfinder – Wayfinder (


Child Care Provider Resources

Food Programs

Food costs can be reimbursed to providers that serve healthy meals and snacks. Contact these organizations for more details.

Adults’ & Children’s Alliance
Provider’s Choice, Inc.

Other Resources:

Child Care Aware of Minnesota supports the professional growth of child care providers by offering trainings and guidance to providers.
Develop connects providers to trainings and tracks their training progress.
First Children’s Finance provides loans and business-development assistance to high-quality child care businesses serving low- and moderate-income families.
Center for Inclusive Child Care provides free relationship-based professional development (RBPD) including support, training, modeling, and resources to child care programs throughout Minnesota.
Entrepreneur Fund provides business advice and financing in NE MN and NW WI.
Tom Copeland's Blog has tax and legal articles specific to Licensed Child Care Providers.
Northland Foundation Community Resource Hub provides help finding programs and services for families with young children and parents who are expecting a child in Northern Minnesota
DHS Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) Child Care Provider Guide. It explains what you need to know to receive payment from the Minnesota Department of Human Services for families who get benefits from the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP).


Child Care Assistance

Phone: 218-726-2400

Child Care Licensing

Phone: 218-726-2064

All contacts