St. Louis County Recorder's Office Important information related to COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
GENERAL INFORMATION: The Recorder's Office is working hard to provide full service with limited public interaction. At this time, offices remain closed to the public and will serve the public by appointment only. Customers are highly encouraged to utilize online services, whenever possible. Information on application processes, services and fees can be found under the Public Records Department. At this time, the office is still processing documents by mail as we receive them. This is subject to change dependent upon the information provided by the Minnesota Department of Health or CDC for proper procedures for the handling of mail.
The Office is constantly updating their response to COVID-19. Please call ahead if you are uncertain as to our availability or have questions regarding how services can be accessed.
Please use the information below to contact Recorder's Office staff.
BIRTH, DEATH & MARRIAGE RECORDS: Phone 218-726-2559 or email.
Click her for our locations.
REAL ESTATE: Customers are highly encouraged to eRecord documents. Documents to be recorded will not be accepted in-person; however, they may be mailed or placed in one of our drop boxes at the Duluth Courthouse 2nd Street entrance, Hibbing Courthouse main entrance, or Virginia GSC main entrance. Phone 218-726-2677 or email.
DROP BOX: Drop boxes are located at the Duluth Courthouse 2nd Street entrance, Hibbing Courthouse main entrance, or Virginia Government Services Center main entrance. Application materials, payments, and other documents can be placed in the drop box at these locations.
BIRTH DEATH AND MARRIAGE RECORD APPOINTMENTS: If none of the previous options work for you, you may wish to schedule an appointment by utilizing the No Wait Inside scheduling application or calling our office.
- NEW! Use the No Wait Inside scheduling application to conveniently schedule your drive-up appointment by choosing one of the locations listed below (limited to vital records services at this time).
- Schedule an appointment if you have an urgent or emergency related request. If you are sick, stay home.
- Choose the time/location of your appointment.
- Confirmation of appointment with reminders through phone call, text or email.
- Two-way notifications and communications that allow for customers to notify the office upon arrival.
- Appointment requirements:
- Customers will be asked to call ahead with questions or concerns, get instructions on how to prepare for the appointment, and schedule their appointment time.
- Customers will be asked to stay in their vehicle. Identification application review, and document interaction will be kept to a minimum with staff and customer maintaining at least a 6 foot distance at all times.
- Have only the party/parties who require service show up for service.
- Pay by check or have exact cash. Change will not be provided. During the pre-appointment discussion, staff can provide information on the cost of a particular service or assist with online payments.
- Provide a vehicle description and be prepared to show appropriate identification.
Duluth, Hibbing and Virginia offices will be closed to public access and will serve the public by appointment only. To schedule an appointment online, click on the location listed below using Chrome, Edge Chromium, Firefox or Mozilla to create an appointment.
Locations: Duluth Courthouse, Hibbing Courthouse or Virginia Government Service Center.