To ensure safety and proper drainage that impacts our roads and environment, the county has the following directions for driveways and culverts:
New Entrance Construction
- A permit is required for all entrance construction.
- New driveway construction and culvert installations are the responsibility of the property owners.
- St Louis County will inspect the site and will determine culvert diameter, length and type (steel, plastic) and any other requirements.
- Residential entrance width shall be a minimum of 20 feet and commercial entrance width shall be a minimum of 32 feet.
- Property owners are responsible for the purchase of their culvert. St Louis County does not sell culverts.
- A permit fee and a refundable deposit are required. Deposit will be refunded when the construction is complete and passed an inspection.
- Entrances become the responsibility of St Louis County after the initial construction has been completed and approved.
- Existing entrances are maintained by St Louis County.
- St Louis County will maintain the entrance from the edge of the road to the limits of the road right of way.
- Maintenance consists of culvert repair and replacement when needed, thawing, ditch cleaning and any other measures to ensure proper drainage.