St. Louis County has adopted an ordinance that allows the operation of all terrain vehicles (ATVs) on all County Roads outside of city limits.
Among the highlights,
- Provides for ATV operation on all county roads outside cities.
- Provides for a permit process for county roads within city limits.
- Provides for a permit process for any county roads on an as-needed basis. This will be issue driven and will be a collaborative process with the ATV clubs.
- Does not include conditions for speed, headlights, helmets required under the age of 18 and unsafe operation, because they are already covered by state statute and rules.
- Provides a mechanism for the County Board to close or restrict roads if needed.
- Provides a mechanism for the Public Works Director to close roads quickly in the event of damage or safety issues. These actions are subsequently reviewable by the County Board.
- Provides for an Official All-Terrain Vehicle Map for road users and enforcement to refer to. It will be updated as needed through action of the Executive ATV Permit Committee or as a result of County Board action.
Photos courtesy the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources