Permits & Records


Permits, Services and Records

For your convenience, we present the latest permits, services and records from our central document library. You can search and find the latest information, forms and documents needed from our department. 

Check "Include Archived Items" for all relevant documents from years past.

Search Permits, Services and Records

St. Louis County Sheriff's Office provides expertise in helping the public with permits, services and records. Some of the types of these items include:


Firearm Permits

Firearms Carry or Purchase Permits

Carry Permit

Applications may be picked up at any of the listed drop-off locations below. Alternatively, an application can be downloaded from the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.
To submit an application you will need:
  • To apply in person; applications are accepted Monday-Friday until 4:15 PM, excluding holidays.
  • To bring a copy of your gun safety training certificate; certificates are valid for one calendar year after course completion.
  • Your state identification card or a driver’s license verifying your current address.
  • $70 to cover the Sheriff's Office fee. Payments are accepted as cash or check only. Exact change is required for all payments.

Applications must be dropped off at one of the following locations:

If your residence is outside Minnesota, you may apply with any Minnesota county's sheriff's office. If you live in the State of Minnesota you must apply in the county where you live, if you live outside Minnesota you may apply with any Sheriff within the State. The fee for a permit to carry is $70 and that fee is non-refundable if denied the permit. Checks or exact cash payments will be accepted. You must apply in person. The office has 30 days to process the application.

Purchase Permit

If you live in the jurisdiction of the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office (rural St. Louis County) you make application for a permit to purchase a handgun at the Sheriff's Office in the Public Safety Building or the Virginia or Hibbing Courthouses. St. Louis County uses the same application that you can download from the BCA.

If you reside within a city in St. Louis County, you must apply at your local police department. Check with your local police department to find out what application form they use.

In other words - to obtain a permit to purchase a weapon and you live within the City of Duluth city limits, go to the Duluth Police Department. If you live within the City of Proctor city limits, go to the Proctor Police Department, etc. If you live outside the city limits but are in St. Louis County, then you would go to the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office nearest you (Public Safety Building, Hibbing, or Virginia).

Applications are available at the above Sheriff’s Offices, you must have a copy of your driver's license or State identification card with your current address on it. There is no fee for a permit to purchase. You must apply in person. The office has seven (7) working days to process the application.

Buoy and Raft Permits

The Boat and Water Safety Division is responsible for the promotion and enforcement of watercraft safety regulations, marking navigational hazards and ensuring the safe condition of rental watercraft.

Their role is to: 

  • Enhance safety on the waterways of St. Louis County
  • Respond to water emergencies
  • Abide by Minnesota Statute 86B1.5
  • Promote boat and water safety and enforcement
  • Buoy designated waterways
  • Train and equip personnel for water search and rescue

The Boat and Water Safety Division has two purposes: buoying and boat and water enforcement, including training and accident response.

  • Buoying:  St. Louis County hires a private contractor for buoying services on Lake Vermilion, Burntside Lake, and Shagawa for hazard/channel markings to improve watercraft navigation and safety. Currently 290 buoys are placed in these designated lakes as a service to area boaters.  Learn more about Buoy permits....
  • Boat & Water Enforcement, Training and Accident Response:  The St. Louis County Sheriff, under MN Rules Chapter 86B.105, is the primary law enforcement agency responsible for search, rescue, patrol and inspection of watercraft on the lakes, streams and rivers in St. Louis County.  Deputies and Rescue Squad personnel participate in search and recovery of drowning victims.  Deputies participate in watercraft enforcement patrols throughout the county on grant-paid overtime projects. 
  • Water Related Accidents: If someone has a water related accident or drowns, it must be reported to the Sheriff.  This is covered by MN Rules Chapter 86B.105 and 6110.1900.
  • Lifejackets: Every person on board a watercraft or duck boat shall wear or have readily accessible a U.S. Coast Guard approved Type I, II, or III personal flotation device.  This is covered by Chapter 6110.1200 Sub. 3.
  • Swimming Areas: The owner or lessee of shoreline property may define a swimming area adjacent to the property for personal use.  This is covered by Chapter 6110.1600.  Learn more about Swim Raft permits...
  • Water Events: A permit is needed whenever an event occurs on, in or upon the water. This would include events such as ice fishing contests, snowmobile races on the ice, summer fishing contests, triathlon races, etc. Learn more about Water Event permits...
  • How Much Do Water Permits Cost: Water Event and Buoy/Swim Raft permits are $26 per permit.  Please make checks payable to St. Louis County Sheriff's Office. Please click here for our Fee Schedule.

Fire Burning Permits

Fire Burning Permits
A burning permit grants the individual holder the right to burn small amounts of dry leaves, plant clippings, brush, and clean untreated-unpainted wood as long as weather conditions do not pose a fire hazard.

Minnesota DNR Burning Permit Information

Event Permits

Event Permits
A Water Event Permit is required by Minnesota State Statute Chapter 86B.121 and is needed whenever an event occurs on, in or upon the water.

Accident and Incident Reports

Most incidents involving the attention of a St. Louis County Deputy will be documented on an Incident Report form. The status of the case determines what information, if any, is releasable to the public or to involved parties. Most Incident Reports are public information unless: it is an active investigation, court action is still pending, juveniles are involved, or information is classified as confidential or private. To inquire about an accident or incident report, you may email the ​Duluth Records Division.


In emergency or to file a report, call 911.

Duluth Records Dept.
Records Email

Hibbing Sheriff's Office

Virginia Sheriff's Office