Master Gardener Summer Classes 2019
The St. Louis County Extension Master Gardeners are offering a wide variety of gardening classes this summer. Most take place at the West Duluth Branch Library and the Mt. Royal Branch Library in Duluth. Click here for a list of topics and a full schedule.
The Containers and Raised Beds class offered on May 9 and May 13 used the following helpful resources:
Raised Bed Gardens, University of Minnesota Extension
Container Gardening by H. C. Harrison
Extension Master Gardener Program
The University of Minnesota Extension Master Gardener Program trains volunteers to educate and inform people in their communities about horticulture. More information about the program is available at the Extension Master Gardener website.
The Master Gardener Program in St. Louis County is open to all adult St. Louis County residents. Internships in the program are available on a limited basis.
Extension Master Gardeners:
- Apply to St. Louis County and are accepted to the internship program.
- Submit and pass an online background check.
- Complete the University of Minnesota Hort 1003 core course, offered annually and taking place January-April.
- Volunteer on projects and events that deliver horticulture education and information to the public, contributing a certain amount of volunteer hours teaching research-based horticulture practices in our community.
- Volunteer in the community alongside experienced Extension Master Gardeners.
- Learn through continuing horticulture educational opportunities as an active Master Gardener.
How to Apply
The Extension Offices maintains a list of residents that are interested in becoming a Master Gardener. When the application process begins in the early autumn, those on the list will be notified via e-mail. If you are interested in becoming a Master Gardener, please contact the St. Louis County Extension office at 218-733-2870.