Land Use


 Fall Colors Lake Scene

The Land Use Division is responsible for the administration and enforcement of land use regulations for county administered areas.

To find zoning information, click Maps on the left side of the page and you will be directed to the County Land Explorer.

Land Use Permit Applications

Land Use Videos

Draft Short Term Rental Standards

St. Louis County has been working for several years to gather input and review the need for permitting of short term (vacation home) rentals. As part of the proposed revisions to St. Louis County Zoning Ordinance 62, it is proposed to allow for the short term rental of properties through the issuance of permits in St. Louis County land use administered areas. Draft ordinance changes were approved by the Planning Commission on December 12, 2019 to be forwarded to the St. Louis County Board of Commissioners. The proposed draft changes are located below. To provide input, comments may be submitted in writing to the Planning and Community Development Department, Virginia Government Services Center, 201 South 3rd Avenue West, Virginia, MN 55792 or to Jenny Bourbonais at Your input is important to us. Please contact Jenny Bourbonais at 218-749-0629 if you have any questions.