Homeowner installations are allowed under the ordinance but require additional oversight. Please contact the county early to discuss for a successful installation.
A property owner installing a SSTS to treat wastewater solely from their own dwelling or a seasonal dwelling may install their own system without a license providing the following conditions are followed:
A. Homeowner exemption will be limited to Type I and Type II systems only.
- Type I System: “Type I System” means an ISTS that follows a standard trench, bed, at-grade, mound, or greywater system design in accordance with MPCA rules, Minnesota Rules, Chapter 7080.2200 through 7080.2240.
- Type II System: “Type II System” means an ISTS with acceptable modifications or sewage containment system that may be permitted for use on a site not meeting the conditions acceptable for a standard Type I system. These include systems on lots with rapidly permeable soils or lots in floodplains and privies or holding tanks. Minnesota Rules, Chapter 7080.0040 through 7080.2240.
B. The system must be designed by an individual licensed in accordance with Minnesota Rules, Chapter 7083.0700, Subp. B.
C. The property owner must possess an approved Permit to Construct issued by the Department and schedule a pre-construction inspection with the Department prior to installation.
D. The property owner shall attend and provide the department with a Certificate of Attendance from a basic installation course provided by the University of Minnesota Water Resources Center or an equivalent training program, or
E. Have a licensed designer, installer, or inspector provide oversight during installation and shall provide a written affidavit that they witnessed and confirmed the following activities:
- The minimum vertical separation between the bottom of the dispersal system and seasonal saturation or bedrock exists.
- The inground dispersal system is excavated or interface soil is prepared for an above ground system.
- The plastic limit of soil is determined.
- The pumping levels in the pump chamber are set.
- The as-built form is prepared, and all other required supporting documents.
F. The property owner must comply with all other provisions of this Ordinance.
The On-Site Wastewater division prior to starting this process.