Survey Control Points
Search for St. Louis County PLS Corners, Control Points and Corner Certificates
Control Point Database
Since the year 2000, the St. Louis County Surveyors staff has been populating a database with Survey Control Points which includes geodetic reference marks and Public Land Survey (PLS) corners. The database reports contain various attribute information including precise geographic coordinates. For PLS corners a ‘Document File Reference’ field provides a link to the scanned images of Certificates of Location of Government Corners contained in the County Recorder’s document records. (Note: This database is not all inclusive. Additional PLS corner records can be found at the County Surveyor’s Offices and additional geodetic records can be found at: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/surveying/Geodetics/geodetics.html and http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/.)
Some of the information stored here are as follows, but not limited to:
- St. Louis County Public Land Corner Map shows the current population of PLS corners stored in this database
- Coordinate positions for PLS Corners, stored in two formats; county coordinates and latitudes and longitudes
- Coordinate positions for County Control Points, stored in two formats; county coordinates and latitudes and longitudes
- Coordinate positions for HARN, High Accuracy Reference Network (MnDOT Network), stored in two formats; county coordinates and latitudes and longitudes
- Recorded Certificate of Location of Government Corners
The County does not create or keep coordinate positions for private property. Private land owners must contact and hire a Private Land Surveyor to have a survey of their land(s) made. The Minnesota DNR has a web site called LANDVIEW that will show approximate geographical coordinates on an aerial photo background which might be helpful.
St. Louis County makes no representation or warranties, express or implied, with respect to the use or reuse of data provided herewith, regardless of its format or the means of its transmission. THE DATA ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITH NO GUARANTEE OR REPRESENTATION ABOUT THE ACCURACY, CURRENCY, SUITABILITY, PERFORMANCE, MERCHANTABILITY, RELIABILITY OR FITNESS OF THIS DATA FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. St. Louis County shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, compensatory or consequential damages or third party claims resulting from the use of these data, even if St. Louis County has been advised of the possibility of such potential loss or damage. These data may not be used in states that do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages.