Click here for Tangible Interest Requirements.
(Who has the authority to apply for a certificate?)
Click here for Confidential Birth Records.
Please read before ordering a birth certificate.
Click here for Instructions to amend a Birth Certificate with the MN Department of Health.
Instructions for ordering a Birth Certificate:
- Print out the form (see document library below).
- Complete the Birth Certificate Application form.
- For a "non-certified" Birth Certificate, your signature does not require notarization.
- Have your signature notarized and mail the completed application form and payment to:
St. Louis County Recorder’s Office
Attention: Vital Records Division
P.O. Box 157
Duluth, MN 55801-0157
Birth Certificate Fee Information
1 Certified Copy - $26.00
1 Non-Certified Copy - $13.00
Each additional copy of the same certified record purchased at the same time - $19.00. Each additional copy of the same non-certified record purchased at the same time - $6.00.
- Make your check or money order payable to the St. Louis County Recorder.
- United States of America Currency only.
- To expedite orders by fax and pay online see instructions below.
If you cannot download the application, please call 218-726-2559 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application.
Allow 1 – 2 weeks for processing applications including the time for delivery of first class mail to the applicant. If you wish to use another delivery service, please provide a pre-paid envelope addressed to the applicant.
To order by fax and pay online follow the below instructions. Send both the completed application and payment confirmation by fax to 218-725-5052 or by email to email@example.com:
- Print and complete the application form legibly. Please include your telephone number with area code.
- Have your signature notarized with a notary seal that can be read by fax.
- St. Louis County offers credit card payments (Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover) through Official Payments Corporation. You will be charged a service fee for the use of this service. Please use the birth date as the transaction number so that we can process the order quickly. When you know the amount, go to the Official Payments Corporation web site. Next, click on “Local Payments”. Then, choose the State of “Minnesota”, payment entity of “St. Louis County”, and payment type of “birth record”. Follow the remaining steps as prompted. Print out the Confirmation of Payment page that you receive from Official Payments Corporation to send along with the application.
Located at: http://www.officialpayments.com