ADULT & FAMILIESFinancial AssistanceGroup Residential Housing (GRH)   

Group Residential Housing Program (GRH)

Group Residential Housing (GRH) is a state-funded income supplement program that pays for room-and-board costs for low-income adults who have been placed in a licensed or registered setting with which a county human service agency has negotiated a monthly rate.

How does it work?

• GRH pays for room and board in a number of licensed or registered settings, including Adult Foster Care, Board and Lodging Establishments, Supervised Living Facilities, non-certified Boarding Care Homes and various forms of Assisted Living Settings registered under the Housing with Services Act.

• A county human service agency must approve placement in the GRH setting.

• GRH may make service payments for disabled and elderly adults in foster care and other settings if the person cannot access service payment from another source, such as Home and Community-Based waiver programs.

• If a person is eligible for GRH, he or she is eligible for Medical Assistance without a spenddown.

Are there alternatives to GRH?

Currently, if an eligible person needs to live in a licensed setting and needs additional services, he or she may receive the services in the setting. Persons residing in a setting with a GRH rate are usually considered to be living in the community in their own home. As such, these persons can receive services from most community sources, such as home care and home and community-based waiver programs.

Contact: Call for information or visit the nearest office for an application to determine if you are eligible. Duluth: 218-726-2101; Virginia: 218-749-7137; Hibbing: 218-262-6000; Ely: 218-365-8220 or call toll free 800-450-9777. Email or visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) website. St Louis County is an equal opportunity provider.