ADULT & FAMILIESRecordsBirth Death and MarriageMarriage License   
How to Apply for a Marriage License

To apply for a marriage license, the applicants must be at least eighteen years of age. The applicants must appear in person together at one of the following locations:

Duluth Courthouse
County Recorder
100 N. 5th Ave W.
Duluth, MN  55802

Hours: 8 a.m.-4 p.m. 
Northland Office Center
307 S. 1st St., Suite 2R
Virginia, MN  55792

Hours: 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
         2-4 p.m.
Hibbing Courthouse
1810 12th Ave. E.
Room 100
Hibbing, MN  55746

8:30-11:30 a.m.
          1-4 p.m.
SLC Service Center
320 Miners Drive E.
Ely, MN  55731

By appointment only
Hours: 8-11:30 a.m.
          1-4 p.m.


Make an application online prior to coming into the Recorder's Office at  Or download a marriage application in the document library below, complete and bring it to one of the recording offices listed above for processing. If you cannot download the application, please call 218-726-2559 or send an email to to request an application. Applications are also available at any of the above offices. The license is valid for of six months in the State of Minnesota only. There are no refunds.

Whether you complete the marriage license application online or in our office, BEFORE YOUR MARRIAGE CEREMONY, BOTH PARTIES* MUST APPEAR TOGETHER IN THE RECORDER'S OFFICE to sign the marriage license and pay the required fees. (*Some exclusions apply.)

The processing fee is $115.00 without Premarital Education. With the proof of completion of 12 hours of Premarital Education, the fee is $40.00. The educator must be a licensed or ordained minister, a person authorized to solemnize marriages under Minnesota Statutes, or a person licensed to practice marriage and family therapy under Minnesota Statutes, Section 148B.33. See Premarital Education Statement below in the document library. Fees must be paid by cash or check made payable to the St. Louis County Recorder.

If an applicant has a felony conviction for a crime committed on or after August 1, 2000 and want to change their name with the marriage process, additional documents are necessary and delays of up to 30 days may occur. Please contact the local office for details.

View a list of judges and court administrators who perform marriage ceremonies in the document library below. (See Marriage Ceremony Information.pdf or Marriage Ceremony Information Range.pdf.)

For further information, please contact a local office listed above or email at .