Septic Service Providers
Choosing a Septic Contractor
The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency maintains the current list of licensed contractors on its web site. Select St. Louis County and the certification type you are looking for. Many contractors have several or all of the certifications you may need. Please give us a call at 218-749-0625 or 218-725-5200 if you need assistance.
About Licensed SSTS Professionals
All businesses that design, install, maintain, inspect or provide service to Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems (SSTS) in Minnesota need a license from the MPCA. To become licensed, the business owner must:
- Complete training requirements or employ certified individuals
- Provide evidence of surety bond
- Provide evidence of general liability insurance
There are several SSTS professional specialty area certifications. A homeowner may need a:
- Designer: To conduct a site visit on your property, evaluate soil conditions and design a system for your needs
- Installer: To install the system as designed, and call Environmental Services for final inspection
- Maintainer: To pump the septic tank or holding tank
- Service Provider: To inspect, adjust, calculate water use, and make repairs as needed, if your SSTS is on an Operating Permit
- Inspector: To inspect your system at the time of sale; see Buying or Selling Property tab
Forms used by SSTS contractors in St. Louis County are listed below.