LAND & PROPERTYStorm Damage Resources   
Storm Damage Resources


Storm damage on Island LakeInformation for St. Louis County property owners affected by storm damage:


If you have received structural damage to your home, business, garage, shed, boathouse or other building on your property as a result of the recent storms in St. Louis County, you may report this information to the County Assessor in one of the following ways:

Click on this link to report damage online

Call one of the four Assessor’s offices:  Duluth (218) 726-2304, Virginia (218) 749-7147, Hibbing (218) 262-6089, or Ely (218) 365-8208

Damage to structures may affect the assessed value of your property, which means you may be eligible for a tax credit or abatement .

Damage to other personal property, such as a dock, boatlift, vehicle or other equipment, will not affect the assessed value of your property.  Trees are not considered structures for the purpose of determining abatements or credits.  

If you need to repair or replace any structures or parts of your shoreline, and need assistance with permitting or have other questions, please contract your local building and zoning authority:

1. City of Duluth Construction and Inspection Services: (218) 730-5300.

2. City of Rice Lake Building and Zoning: 218-721-3778.

3. St. Louis County Planning and Community Development: (218) 725-5000.


For Cities, Townships and Tribal government reporting  click here. 


Search for a Professional Logger:


Rural landowners can search for a professional logger to clean up and salvage storm damaged timber on their properties by clicking on this link and selecting ‘St. Louis County’ in the Logger Member Search.



Carey Road storm damage