CONTACT: Gary Eckenberg, Deputy Administrator, 218-726-2447
Christina Hujanen Receives St. Louis County’s Volunteer Excellence Award
Christina Hujanen will be recognized by St. Louis County Attorney Melanie Ford with the County’s Volunteer Excellence Award at the County Board meeting held Tuesday, June 26 at Semer’s Park in Ely, Minnesota. Ms. Hujanen could easily be called Tower-Soudan’s premiere events planner and caterer, except she does it in her spare time with her own money. Her contributions to the area are numerous:
* She founded the Tower-Soudan Senior Citizen Group and puts on monthly dances and monthly bingo days, providing food and entertainment for 50 to 300 people at every event;
* She started the auction for the Tower-Soudan Athletic Association, the club’s biggest fundraiser, and she acts as auctioneer for the event;
* She prepares a big dinner for the Tower football team every year;
* She chairs the Miss Tower-Soudan Queen Committee for junior girls, driving the floats in many parades and organizing the coronation ceremony;
* She regularly puts on dances for area teens;
* She founded and organizes the outdoor rock concert, Riverfest;
* She plans trips for senior citizens and high school and junior high school students;
* She coordinates ribbon cuttings and grand openings in Tower.
Along with all of this, she is a member and/or director of Rotary, Soroptimists, Parent-Teacher-Student Organization, the United Way, Realtor Association, Lake Vermillion Chamber of Commerce, Embarrass Vermillion Federal Credit Union, Tower Riverfront Harbor Project Committee, Laurentian Chamber of Commerce Ambassadors, and Land of the Loon Festival.
The St. Louis County Volunteer Excellence Award is given to those citizens who freely give of their generous gifts of time, talent, and energy in contributing to the exceptional quality of life in our region. Christina Hujanen truly exemplifies excellence in her contributions to making St. Louis County a better place to live and grow for all of our residents!