GOVERNMENTLicensingAlcohol & Liquor   

Alcohol and Liquor

Obtaining an Alcohol and Liquor License


St. Louis County licenses establishments located in organized and unorganized townships within the county, only. License applicants must meet the requirements of the following County Departments/Offices:  Sheriff, Attorney, Environmental Services and Planning. In addition, a food/beverage license must be obtained through the Minnesota Department of Health. If the establishment is located in an organized township, town board approval is required.

Applicants for an On-Sale and/or Off-Sale Intoxicating Liquor Licenses as well as for On-Sale 3.2 Percent Malt Liquor Licenses must personally appear before the St. Louis County Liquor Licensing Committee in Duluth.

The St. Louis County Board of Commissioners authorizes the issuance of the license with final approval for intoxicating liquor granted by the Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement Division of the State of Minnesota Department of Public Safety. A Public Hearing is required by Minnesota State Law before an Off-Sale Intoxicating Liquor License is issued.

Liquor license fees vary depending on the type of license applied for.

For additional information, please contact us by phone at 218 726-2000 (Ext. 4526) or via e-mail at


total items   3   items x page