Balsam Bough Permits
For Harvesting Balsam Boughs on St. Louis County Lands
Harvesting of boughs permitted starting in October after two or more hard frosts have "set" the needles on the branches. Permits are sold on a first come first serve basis. Individuals wishing to obtain a balsam bough permit from St. Louis County lands need to apply at the:
Pike Lake Land & Minerals Department office at 5713 Old Miller Trunk Hwy, Duluth MN (Phone: 218-625-3700)
Virginia Land & Minerals Department office at 7820 Highway #135, Virginia, MN (Phone: 218-742-9898)
Individuals interested in obtaining a permit must have a specific location identified by legal description (1/4 section, section, township and range), and/or by GPS coordinates at time of purchase.
- The cost of each permit is $35.00 per ton.
- Trees SHALL NOT be cut down.
- Bough harvesting MUST be in compliance with the following brochures:
- Dashboard permit poster MUST be displayed in the permittees vehicle when harvesting boughs on St. Louis County Tax Forfeit Lands.
- NO cutting in plantations
- NO cutting within 1/4 mile of developed recreational areas.
- For the purposes of this permit, a pick-up truck load or equivalent shall be considered 500 lbs.
- Non-compliance with the terms of the permit will result in cancellation of the permit for the season and forfeiture of any payments made.